Sunday 16 January 2022

2022 WIPocalypse Kickoff

Finally getting somewhere with these posts! So, as I am sure will surprise noone, I am once again taking part in the WIPocalypse SAL, for my 9th consecutive year. As usual, let's kick the year off with a little introduction:

Hi, my name is Leonore, I'm 32 years old and I love in the South of Germany with my husband, and close to my elderly grandma, whom we're taking care off. I'm a computer scientist, currently working on my PhD thesis, and probably up for a new job sometime later this year! Since the pandemic hit, I've been working from home, and frankly, I have been enjoying it - there are things I miss but I'm not much of a people person. I've been a crafter of some kind for as long as I can remember - grandma taught me how to crochet when I was about four, I taught myself to crochet at around seven. There were some breaks, but for the last ten years or so I've been doing something crafty (mostly stitching, crochet and knitting, but I dabble in other crafts as well) almost every day. I also enjoy reading and gaming and food!

As for my 2022 goals...there is one project I've been working on monthly for the last two years, SALing with Rachel the Ten Hour Stitcher, doing one length of thread a day (roughly. I've been known to do them all within a week at the end of the month). I'll continue working on 'The Loneliness of Autumn', charted my Love Thy Thread after a painting by Leonid Afremov, and post about it every month this year. Here it is around 46%.

For the one month challenges in WIPocalypse, I will be picking up The Puppeteer by Unconventional XStitch. I started this one stitching only the black, and still have a couple thousand stitches left to go - would be awesome to get them all in this year!

My main focus at the moment is Fans of the Far East. I put about 150 hours into this last year, and I'm getting really close to a finish! I want this to be a present for grandma's 90th birthday in March. This is my most current progress picture - which I haven't shared here before, so let's do it now! Lately, I put some more work into the backstitch, finishing page 2, most of the central fan, and all of the lower border. Back to filling in that right fan now.

Apart from this, I have a couple more projects I want to make progress on this year, a couple I want to start, a couple I want to finish...but no concrete plans for anything. I'll just see how the year goes, and hope to make lots of progress!



4 comments:

Rachel said...

Three definite WIPs and some not-so-definite plans sounds like a good idea for the year ahead. A bit of flexibility will allow for those 'just got to start' or 'just got to finish' projects which are bound to pop up. Good luck with everything! :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

Good luck with your stitching plans and your studies. The fans are beautiful

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice to meet you! I like your loose plans for the year, much easier to stick to then strict goals!

Tiffstitch said...

These are all such amazing projects. I love how the Puppeteer looks in just black and you're so close on the fans. You'll make it!