Tuesday 1 September 2020

I didn't need a new hobby...but...

It's been a couple of years now that I first discovered the prettiness that is English Paper Piecing - all those hexies and diamonds and the pretty shapes they make! Ever since I saw it on Pamela's Blog, I wanted to give it a try. I even bought a book, but just never got around to do something. So when I had a week off in the beginning of August and nowhere to go thanks to the pandemic, I thought this would be a nice adventure to take on in the safety of my own home! 

One of the projects described in the book was a little (or not so little) pin cushion/fabric weight, and since that didn't need a lot of supplies and seemed to be reasonably straight forward, I chose it as my first project. I picked out some fabrics I had originally bought to back cross stitch ornaments with (which is why they are a little flimsy, but they were still not too bad to work with) and set to work, and a little while later I ended up with this:


and a new addiction :D There is something incredibly soothing about sewing together all these little shapes. I splured a little, ordering fabric and paper templates for a couple of further projects (some I want to incoorporate my cross stitch finishes in), but for now I started another project I've been putting off for years - making a cover for my sewing machine! I bought these fabrics I loved age ago but never quite new how to go about it, and now I decided to just give it a go with a simple hexie pattern and worry about the details later. So I spent some time cutting the first 42 squares of fabric (I think I'll need at least three times as much in the end), basted them all and started the sewing:


Still a lot of work to do, but it's fun an grows quickly whenever I can give it an hour or so! I think I stull have a lot to learn, but I am very much looking forward to the process.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Yay! You are right about it being soothing. A sewing machine cover is perfect for your next project!

Sheryl said...

A really pretty pin cushion, I like the blue fabrics and the matching button and also the lovely colours you have chosen for the hexie sewing machine cover, great work

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your pincushion is adorable. The hexies are looking great. I tried patchwork once and it formed a sort of bowl shape instead of being flat!

Rachel said...

For a new hobby you're off to a great start! Both are really pretty, and useful! Good luck continuing the sewing machine cover. :)