Thursday 15 July 2021

July Gifted Gorgeousness

 It's time to link up with my favourite SAL again, and since I seem to be going crazy with the gifts lately, I have a lot to show! 

First, there is the little critter I started shortly before the last GG checkin - noone guessed quite right what it was going to be, so here is the solution:

Its a little baby penguin, hiding out in my fridge because it was really hot back in June (but has been raining nonstop for three weeks or so now). I think he's one of my favourites out of all the ragdolls I've made so far! This one is a gift for the son of one of Felix' friends who was born last year.

Knowing me, of course, I already started a new one - using a bit of a different pattern this time for a change, though:

This is a pattern from lalylala on Etsy, she has a lot of really cute animals (or actually, I think they are supposed to be children dressed like animals - hence the white-ish face with a hood on) and I wanted to make one of them for ages. This one will be for Felix first...great-cousin? One of his cousins had a daughter, is what I want to say!

Since we'll be visiting for Felix' grandma's birthday in August, I've been focusing on getting this done, but I've also worked a little (or a lot?) on Ubuntu, and managed to finish part 3! That means the diamonds are all done now, and I even wove in all of the loose ends.

For the next three parts, I'll be making six half-diamonds to fill in the gaps around the edge. The half-diamonds are VERY colourful, so a lot of loose ends are going to be involved, which is a little intimidating, but I'll get to them some time soon I think!

And then there is, of course, Fans of the Far East:

I don't know why, but I am SO enjoying this right now, and have a hard time putting it down! Which is why I have made a decision regarding the additional SALs this month (that is, the Christmas in July and Olympic Stitching ones)...this might sound strange to most of you, but I don't really 'feel' the new starts I had planned right now! I'm having so much fun with Fans of the Far East, so I wanna keep up the momentum, plus I also have my other SALs so work on (haven't touched TLOA this month yet) and one new start I need to tell you about...so...I'm out of those two. Sorry! Might catch up on the planned starts some time later this year, but right now I'm really happy with the WIPs I already have :)



8 comments:

Pamela said...

I love Fans of the East! I think the child of a first cousin is a first cousin once removed.

diamondc said...

Leonore: The penguin is adorable, I am looking forward to seeing the next doll you finish.
Beautiful stitching, nice progress.
Lovely diamond and colors.

catherine

Elfie said...

Beautiful crafting! I totally understand your decision to focus on your WIP rather than start new projects.

Beth in IL said...

Yes, stitch what you want! Your work is beautiful and I especially like the penguin.
I hate to be an enabler, but have you seen the new penguin design by Modern Folk Embroidery?

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. Love the little penguin!
Felix is a Great-Cousin to the new Baby, in the same way his Mum is a Great Aunt. But there is no equivalent word for the baby. Instead, they are a First Cousin Once Removed, because they are one generation removed from Felix. When this child has a baby, it will be a First Cousin Twice Removed from Felix. If Felix has a child, they will be Second Cousins. I love explaining this to my Second Cousins and their kids but my Aunt just says "you are all cousins and family" LOL

Rahenna said...

Great progress! It looks so pretty. :)

Carol said...

Such a cute little penguin--it will be a perfect baby gift. I find all that "once removed" stuff so confusing... I fully understand your description :)

Rachel said...

It's not often we'll hear you say you're happy with the WIPs you've already got, but if that's the case why start anything new just for the sake of it? Save that for when you're really feeling a new start urge and continue with what's making you happy. And I'm not surprised this one is making you happy... it's gorgeous! :)