Friday 13 September 2019

Fully Finished Gallery - September

It's the tenth of the month (shut up, I know it's actually the 13th already!) and against my usual norm, I am here and ready and have had a finish to post for a while, actually! Sadly, it's a 'boring' finish, in that it's both a new one (and not some deep-buried treasure from my box of shame) and just a simple framed one, but I like it all the same, and there's a bit of a story to it.

Felix' youngest cousin is ten years old now. She's grown up seeing me sitting and crafting at all kinds of family functions, and has always been curious about it and asking questions (she's asked me to show her how to do it on several occasions, but yet lacks the patience to sit still for more than five minutes). This summer, she asked me if I would stitch her dog for her, and I said yes. Now I knew I wasn't going to stitch a photorealistic full coverage design or anything, but I still wanted it to be HER dog, not just a generic husky, so I got a little creative. First, I looked for small husky patterns, and found one that I liked at cross-stitch-pattern.net (can't recommend that site, though - you need to sign up for $2.50 a month for unlimited access to the patterns, but once I signed up there was no option to cancel the subscription again, and the owner didn't reply to my email. I ended up grabbing just that one pattern I wanted and canceling the automatic renewal directly via Paypal. The pattern itself was really nice, though.) Then, I collected a couple of pictures of Maggie (that's the dog, not the cousin) and compared her fur markings with the pattern. Most of it was already pretty close, just the face of the pattern was super dark and serious, and Maggie is a very sweet, goofy dog - so I changed her eyes to the characteristic light blue, lightend the fur a little, and added a cute lolling tongue. Totally Maggie now! I bought a very small frame and it was just a perfect fit that I am super proud of.



Felix' cousin and her mum loved it, so I'm very happy how everything came together!

8 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Aww, that's fabulous! Great ideas and so glad it was appreciated. Also, good info on the site, will keep that in mind.

Rachel said...

Maggie is adorable, and the story behind the design makes her even more special. Good job all the effort was worth it! Thank you for participating. :)

Suzanne H said...

This is wonderful. What a thoughtful gift and I love the color of the frame. The dog has a real personality!

Astrids dragon said...

You did a great job on Maggie, a very sweet finish. Did she love it?!

diamondc said...

Leonore: What a cutie, you did a fabulous job of changing colors.
I hate sites that hold you hostage just for a sale, I too would have done what you did cancel after I bought the pattern.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

Thank you :) I was really happy with how well everything fit together!

Bethan said...

What a lovely piece. It's nice how changes to a pattern can make a piece totally suitable and original for you x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a great little Husky, it's a good way to personalise a generic chart too.