Friday 3 November 2023

Oktober WIPocalypse

So here we are, another month on, in November - I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the autumn days! For me, October was pretty productive, but still pretty busy, especially as the weather was keeping nice and sunny way late into the month! November, however, has started off gray and rainy, perfect for lounging around inside and crafting!

The WIPocalypse question of the month is How do you begin planning for the next year with your stitching? Tell us your process. To be honest, I am not much of a planner. More often than not, I will have a big deadline to work towards, and then also identify a couple more projects I want to make progress on, and plan around that. Recently though I've been avoiding deadlines, so I haven't made a lot of fixed plans, and I've been enjoying it, so I'm not sure how much planning I will do for 2024 at all!

To stay on theme with that...I did not hit my goals of catching up, or even just doing a full month of stitching (in my one-length-a-day definition) on The Loneliness of Autumn...but still, exciting things are happening! Rachel is back, and while she's not posted any recent progress on TLoA yet, we did talk about it, and talked about switching from working by colour to working by page. I've been thinking about it for a while, and she mentioned she had intended to do that once she hit 75%. As I had passed that point a while ago, I took that as permission to change my mode of stitching myself...so I set up project cards, and pulled a lot of colours to start and filling in page one.

I pulled a total of 35 colours so far - proof that if I hadn't made this change, it would have been a long time before I saw any page finishes! Of course, working page by page, I only do a couple stitches with some threads, so I'm not finishing as many full threads, but that will even out over time and my count will start to add up again...at least that's what I hope! At any rate, I completely filled in page 1, adding a total of 1864 stitches, and making a start on page 2 as well.

My new total is 92591/118800 stitches or 77.94% done. I hope to continue to fill in a page per month for the forseeable future, at least until I hit the less densely stitched parts around the middle of the design - at least I am pretty motivated to work on this one more again, as I am actually seeing some real progress here!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I love this piece! Absolutely gorgeous!

Toki said...

I like the changing seasons, but I don't really reflect on them in my work. And, when I started blogging and reading everyone’s blog s,I realized that I wasn't enjoying the seasons.

It's nice to have the stitching so you can have a conversation with Rachel.😊

diamondc said...

Oh My Leonore: That is a load of cross stitching, it really is a lovely design.

Catherine

Rachel said...

Congrats on your first page finish! That must have been so satisfying?
Each time you post your progress I feel more and more guilty, but seeing your achievements each month means I also know what I have to look forward to :)
Good luck with having no definitive plans or deadlines for next year. Wonder which projects your freedom-of-choice will lead you towards...