Sunday 13 August 2023

A New Obsession - Delicate

As I might have hinted up, there is a new project I am kind of obsessed with...but it's totally not my fault! A friend on a discord server posted a free pattern for a knitted cardigan, a couple of us liked it...started joking about doing it as a KAL...started looking at yarn...started buying yarn...and then one Sunday morning, four of us sat in a video call and cast it on! It's the "Delicate" cardigan by Annamária Ötvös and for me, will be the first real fitted garment that I'm knitting. 

That first morning we were knitting together, we only made a tiny start on the 'Left back collar extension' and it took me a while to figure out that meant the part of the collar that will sit on the back of my neck. That part was then mirrored for the 'Right back collar extension' and then we had to cast on more stitches, do some shaping, and work down the upper back, to just below where the arms will be. That was where I finally ended up after about 13 hours of knitting:

Next up are the two fronts, casting on stitches from the shoulder and also working down to below the arm. It's exciting to see it all shape up, so it's hard to put it down right now! I'm also really happy about the yarn I'm using, it's from Holst Garne and I'm combining their "Tides' (merino and silk) with a one ply alpaca ("Titicaca") which is a really pretty combination of similar, but not the same colours, and so, so soft! I think you might see a lot more of this one soon...


4 comments:

Pamela said...

This is so pretty! I understand how this has become your new obsession.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

So glad that you’re enjoying this new project! Even though you’ve written this post in English I feel I might need an interpreter for the knitting terms LOL

diamondc said...

I am looking forward to seeing this cardigan finished, love the color.

Catherine

Toki said...

When I knit a sweater before, I knit from the bottom. I thought there were many ways to do it, such as starting from the back collar.
The color is perfect for summer.