Thursday 8 December 2022

2022 Stitching Advent Calendar Blog Hop

Today it's my turn to open (or wait behind?) a door on Jo's wonderful advent calendar! No idea what I'm taking about? Check out the full thing here.

I am also reposting these ornaments I finished earlier, because I really like how they turned out!

This year's conversation topic is What's for afters?, afters being dessert (learnt a new word today - check!). Meaning what do we eat after the big meal of Christmas? I'm putting it like that on purpose, because the 'big one' in Germany is Christmas Eve, not Christmas day. However, it's not a good question for me, because - we don't really do dessert on Christmas Eve either! We have dinner, usually around 6pm (which used to be when we got home from church, but since grandma isn't very mobile anymore, we don't go now most years), and after dinner we are moving into the living room to open presents. And eat lots of chocolates and Christmas cookies, so I guess that counts as 'afters'?

Then, since Felix and I got together, we are driving up to visit his family on Christmas Day, and there is a big family celebration at his grandma's house in the afternoon. Again there is no 'afters', but 'befores' - we are having cake (everyone brings some), then spend time together and later have dinner. Also more cookies and chocolate! This year, I'm going to bake a carrot cake and bring it up with us.
 


13 comments:

Pamela said...

Carrot cake is my favorite! When I was growing up, the desserts were always pie - apple, cherry, pumpkin are the ones I remember.

Elfie said...

I am smiling now as I think of your cakes, chocolate, cookies, and family Christmas. I love your reindeer ornaments. Merry Christmas!

diamondc said...

Merry Christmas Leonore: I like the ornaments and the finish is perfect.
WE have pie and cookies for afters.

Catherine

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year.
I do like your traditions. I am thinking "Befores" should definitely be a thing!

gracie said...

Love the reindeer's. You really do have afters...and befores! Thank you for sharing.

jocondine said...

Lovely stichings, love how the red deer and the white trees simple patterns turn great together. Very elegant ! I hope there is some Mozart chocolates on the Christmas table, I love both Austrian and German ! Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! xxx

Carol said...

Your deer ornaments are very cute! And it's interesting to learn about Christmas customs in other countries. I like the idea of having the big dinner on Christmas Eve--may have to start incorporating that here. Because, honestly, by dinner time on Christmas Day, I'm simply too tired to cook! Your cake party sounds delicious--love carrot cake :) Have a great week, Leonore ♥

Astrids dragon said...

Your deer did turn out beautifully!
Carrot cake is delicious, do you make it with cream cheese frosting?
Happy Christmas!

Denise :) said...

Lovely stitchery! Your ornaments are really beautiful. I learned a new word, too! And we do our big celebrating on Christmas Eve, as well. I love that tradition! :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely reindeer ornaments. Chocolates, cakes and cookies are perfect 'afters' or befores. Merry Christmas 🎄

DJ said...

What lovely ornaments! I think it's special to celebrate Christmas Eve. Carrot cake is one of my favorite cakes! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Tiffstitch said...

Good luck with the carrot cake! DH loves the frosting on those, but not the cake. I'm like you're missing the best part! Merry Christmas and safe travels!

Sheryl said...

Very pretty Christmas ornaments. Your Christmas traditions are like ours of here in Spain - the `big meal´ being on Xmas Eve followed by lots of goodies. Merry Christmas