Friday 8 January 2021

The People's Choice SAL: Designer of 2020

 This fun little SAL dealing with a different, democratically chosen topic every month is a brainchild of our wonderfully creative Jo, and this month the topic is 'The designer you enjoyed stitching the most in 2020'. For me, this is a wonderful opportunity to stitch to stitches with one needle, because I haven't shown you the project I'm going to talk about yet!

Actually, I stitched a lot of wonderful projects this year. For a moment I considered putting Mirabilia, since I really enjoyed working on Lady Justice, or Faby Reilly Design, because isn't the Zoe Box the most precious thing ever?! But actually, the thing I enjoyed stitching the absolut most this year, and maybe ever, was the Snowfire Christmas Sampler I've been SALing with Jo in November and December. I'm not sure what it was, but I think the mixture of gorgeous colours and all these precious specialty stitches, and then aaaaall those hundreds of beads, it's just so pretty. I'm considering having this one professionally framed, which would be a first for me (but I'm not sure as I don't have a ton of fabric margin, so not a lot of room to play with fancy mats!). Here it is in all it's (as of yet unframed, but a little ironed) glory:

Snowfire Christmas

Just Nan

Total Time: 38h25m

So by proxy, the designer I enjoyed stitching the most this year is JustNan! Surprisingly, as I had a lot of her patterns in my stash (also not as many as some...) and just never got around to stitching them. Jo and I also SALed another band sampler last summer, the Morning Meadow one:


I enjoyed this one a lot as well. Now I'll have to decided which of her patterns to stitch next this year, I'm sure I'll be able to fit one or two in there! There are going to be a couple more SALs on the JN facebook group, so maybe I can join in one of those, we'll see.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I love Just Nan's band samplers for all the reasons you listed plus - each line is a small finish so lots of feelings of accomplishment. Framers can, I'm told, frame something, especially with mats, with about an inch margin. Rather than stretch it to the entire frame size, they cut the mounting board out just past the mats and stretch it on the smaller piece and pop it back into the larger one (hopefully that makes sense). You may not have a lot of margin around the piece but you can get mats.

Pamela said...

Great stitching! Just Nan is very popular.

Rachel said...

How interesting that Just Nan was your favourite stitch. I can see how the combination of colours, stitches and beads just worked. Now you've stitched two band samplers I expect there will be many more to come. :)

Bethan said...

Oh that is lovely - I can see why you've picked Just Nan!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month and what a wonderful choice of designer! Your version is gorgeous, I didn't realise how sparkly it was going to be. I'm definitely getting mine professionally frame too, I would like it to match another Sampler I have.
At some point over the next month, would you like to make a short list for the Spring SAL? So we choose one that you have in your stash!