Monday 25 May 2020

The Mermaid is....finished!

Felix and I reinstalled and updated my laptop over the last couple of days (new and bigger SSD, dual boot for work, and a couple new security features), so it took me a while to get everything up and running again. I'm still having some issues commenting on blogs, that I hope to figure out tomorrow, but at least I can write updates again, so I'll try and get caught up! I can't do the new blogger design, though, only the classic one, so I sure hope they won't force the change for a while yet...

So...I can hardly believe I'm writing this, but after almost 300 hours of work (my timer for her is at 270h, but I had a bit done before I started taking time), The Mermaid is finally finish! Last time you saw her, she was here, in need of some more backstitch and most of TW's 'special instructions':



I did the remaining backstitch on her hair and the rocks, then turned to the special instructions. Probably my favourite part was couching gold Kreinik cord to her armband and forehead, which were later embelished with some beads as well:


There's also some gold couched to each of the four corners, and plenty of sparkly blending fillament scattered around the water trickles and her scaly body, but both refuses to show up nicely in pictures. What DOES show up nicely are all the details on the little tidal pool by her hand - blending filament, layered half crosses for a transluscent look, and wrapped back stitch for little watery ripples on the surface!


Here she is in all her glory - now I only need to find a frame that does her justice! I'll probably go with some antique gold, although I'm thinking I really should look if there's something with mother of pearl details (or at list the look of it):





Just like after finishing Lady Justice, there will be a little 'fun' stitching now, but I also have a bookmark to finish for a birthday, and my next bigger focus project is all lined up to be started, so stay tuned!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Very well done!

Renee said...

What a beautiful finish! Congratulations!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your finish, especially as it's your second BIG finish in two months! She looks stunning, thanks to TW's charting which, I understand, is definitely not for the novice stitcher.
You usually have an excellent eye for framing so good luck finding a suitable one. Hopefully Felix will be able to work his magic again very soon. :)

diamondc said...

Leonore: She is stunning, nice job, I bet it feels good to have her done, she is amazing.

Catherine

D1-D2 said...

Congrats! She looks lovely. This design always reminds me of a Waterhouse painting.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on the Watery Happy Dance for your Mermaid, she looks worth every minutes of the those 270+ hours!
Love the close-up photos too. Nice to see all the pretty details and the effect of the hard work.

Bethan said...

Oh she is stunning! I think you are right - an antique gold frame would really set her off nicely! Enjoy your fun stitching x

Astrids dragon said...

She is so beautiful, all the final finishes really make her amazing! I hope you find a frame for her soon, she needs to be displayed and shown off.