Tuesday 27 November 2018

The people's choice - Birthstones

This month's theme for Jo's 'The people chose' SAL is 'Birthstones' - which will ring a bell with long and even not-so-long readers of this blog, since I've been working on a lovely series of ornaments for the last four years (can't believe it's taken me that long!). When this theme came up, I knew I just had to use them and I've been working really hard to have a special post...now don't get any ideas, I still have not finished all of them, but I DID finish-finish all the ones that I had stitched up, so now I have a complete set to show (there are several birthstones for some months and I still need to stitch most of those).



So here they are - you might notice there are fifteen in total instead of twelve, and that is because I already stitched some of the duplicates. Here is the complete list of birthstones used:

January - Garnet
February - Amethyst
March - Aquamarine
April - Diamond
May - Emerald
June - Pink Alexandrite (missing: Pearl, Moonstone, Green Alexandrite)
July - Ruby
August - Peridot
September - Sapphire
October - Pink Tourmaline & Opal
November - Yellow Topaz & Citrine
December - Blue Topaz & Tanzanite (missing: Blue Zirconia)


11 comments:

Magical Mystery said...

They look fantastic lined up like this! I hope you can get them all into your tree this year! :D

Pamela said...

These are gorgeous! Well done!

Carol said...

Wow! I hadn't seen these as I am a pretty new reader, Leonore, but they are stunning... Does each one have a beaded edge? I do love the look of each of them :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the SAL this month. Your ornie look stunning! Such a lovely series and finished so beautifully too.

Sheryl said...

Goodness what a lovely collection and a lot of work. well done.

rosey175 said...

Wow the (mostly) whole set of birthstones! I really like Tanzanite's blue.

OhSewCrafty said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing collection! My favorite is probably the sapphire one. I hope they are adorning the tree? And you only have 4 left? Unless you are really set on stitching all the alternates, I think your series at present is perfect.

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! I think I will sneak them unto my grandparent's tree. Ours is really tiny, just about 60cm including the pot. It barely fit the twelve ornaments Jo made for us!

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm glad you like them :) Quite a few people seem drawn to the blue ones. Personally, I love them all.
Our tree is tiny, so the won't fit, but I hope to sneak them on my grandparents' tree!
I really want to finish the full set, the remaining ones are quite beautiful as well. The only issue I'm having is that two of them use very light, almost white colours, so I'll probably have to use a different fabric to have them show up...I'll kepp pondering that for a while longer, I guess.

Keebles said...

Those are gorgeous! My favorite is also the sapphire, but probably because it's my birthstone!

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

They are all so lovely!