Friday 31 July 2015

July DESIGN

Aaaand again on the very last day - also, forgive me for a rather quick and uninspired post, I worked about twelve hours today to prepare for our well-deserved vacation and now I'm just really, really tired D:

What project are you talking about this month? 

My project for the month is My Day Off, a Design Works kit. It doesn't actually include the designer, but it's made from the art of Ronald West, and there's a wholse series of kits designed after this work, so I'm treating that series as my designer today, if that makes any sense. Also, I'm actually quite a bit further along than the picture on the right shows, but here you can also see what the whole thing will look like :)

Have you stitched a project by this designer before?

No, I haven't.

Would you buy/stitch a design by this designer again? Why/Why not?

I probably would/will. The designs are really fun to look at and, so far, also to work on :)

What made you choose this particular design/designer?

It's a birthday present for Felix' mum who always strugles to keep her 'Day off' actually free. It's perfect for her, especially since she has a black cat as well, just like the lady in the picture :)

Did you notice anything that distinguished this designer from others? - For example specialty stitches, fractionals, much/little 'confetti', beads, special fibers...

It's quite classical cross stitch, mostly full coverage, no fractionals or anything fancy. Some backstitching, but not too much. Some areas (like the flower pot and the vines above or the cake) are quite detailed, but for the most part it's large chunks of colour, so it stitches up pretty quickly. 
As far as the kit is concerend,it's decent quality - pretty stiff aida and what appears to be enough of all the threads. The quality of the threads, however, is a bit curious: Most is normal and okay, two colours (the light sand and light blue) are reeeally soft, and three (dark sand, light brown, and one of the medium grays) are pretty hard and non-shiny. I decided to use them anyway, but I wonder what happened there :D

11 comments:

Kate said...

Great review! That's a really pretty chart. Get some rest and enjoy your vacation :-)

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I love this chart! I hope you do a series so Felix's mum can have them all :D

Linda said...

Cute chart Leonore. I have one of his kits.

Linda

Tiffstitch said...

Great choice and lovely stitching!

Stitching Noni said...

Love those designs - have seen a couple of others of his artwork in charts! Such a crack up!
Enjoy :o)
Hugs xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice picture. I'm not a fan of kits for the reasons you mention, hard aida and variable thread quality!
But they are a good way of doing a project if you don't have the full collection of DMC yet

Leonore Winterer said...

Thank you! That rest was well needed.

Leonore Winterer said...

I might! I really like some of them, but let's see how she likes the first one before making plans :D

Leonore Winterer said...

They are quite awesome...which one do you have?

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! They are really funny and nice to stitch as well, what a great mix ^_^

Leonore Winterer said...

I understand why some people don't like kits, but I still do. From time to time I just enjoy the comfort of taking the kit and just starting away without much preperation or anything ^^