Saturday 30 April 2016

A Rainbow Blanket CAL - Part 1

In my last post I teased my new crochet project, now I can tell (and show) you what it is :) The story behind it is a bit sad, though...
Last week, I read in a German knitting blog I follow that an other, pretty well known knitting blogger had died after fighting cancer for three years. I didn't follow her blog, but checked it out after, and I really regret not getting there earlier - she was wonderfully creative, with tones of ideas and projects, knit alongs and crochet alongs and from her posts and the way people talk about her now, she was a great person as well. One of the projects on her blog was a Rainbow Baby Blanket Crochet Along from a few years back, and that's what I'm doing now - for the sister of a friend of Felix, who's pregnant with her second child, but in honour of Jessica from schoenstricken, a woman I wish I'd known.

The CAL was in thirteen parts, each about ten rows in different colours and stitches, so like a crochet band sampler of sorts. There are the first ten rows, already using all eight colours - I didn't use the kit provided but picked them myself among the Schachenmayr Catania brand. The orange is a bit lighter than I'd like, but they still look pretty nice together I think :)

I won't continue before all the lose ends are weaved in though, I don't want to face like 300 of them in the end. But so far I'm having a lot of fun and I've already had a look at the next part and it looks like even more fun.

I also realized I forgot to show you my newst sock project; another pair for the coworker who loved the first one. I really love the colours on them (Austermann Step Summer Stripes 277) so I'm calling them my watermelon socks :) I saw these knitted on gemachtmitliebe.de a while back and just had to make them as well:



4 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Nice start on both and sad about the blogger.

Heather said...

That's sad news I'm sure she'd appreciate your memorial. It looks fun so far!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice way to remember a fellow blogger and crocheter. The colours are lovely too.

Brigitte said...

Irgendwie berührt es einen doch, wenn man vom frühen Tod einer Bloggerin liest, obwohl man sie nicht persönlich gekannt hat. Eine schöne Decke hast du dir aus ihren Projekten ausgesucht, so schön farbenfroh.
Tolles Garn für die Socken, und ja, das lässt an Melonen denken, lol.